So this is Max. He previously presided at the local thrift store and found his way to my house :) Isn't he cute! I thought he would make the perfect foot stool for my rocking chair, with a little love of course. My future thoughts are that this would be a fun little step stool for the bathroom when bean is old enough to wash hands and brush teeth. We'll see how it holds up.
First things first. Take Max apart and check out what he's got going on. Someone definitely took the time to make him by hand because you can tell by the line drawing on the foam seat cover and the carving of the face. After taking inventory of his parts I gave him a good sanding. His dark wood finish had sort of a sheen gloss to it and I want Max to last for years to come.
Beautiful portrait of me I know. I must not have taken a picture of the actual priming step. This is more of a documenting nursery snapshot for bean to enjoy a hundred years down the road but it will do. I gave Max two light coats of white primer. It was a very muggy humid day so I let it dry a full day before taking on the next step. Max needed a breather anyway.
Ready to paint! I gave Max two good coats for good measure. I am in love with this Ultra Cover spray paint. It looked great after just one easy quick coat but with two, I feel better about the durability of the tooth brushing stool days.
Here he sits. I actually really didn't mind the unique orange leather/vinyl shell he was wearing but thought that for cleansliness purposes and for matching bean's nursery we would go with our fabric we have already purchased. Did I mention that Max was only $4.99?
After tracing Max's shell onto our new fabric I ironed it and set it aside.
After checking out the foam piece that came with him I thought it through and decided I want another durable layer between the foam and the fun fabric. I found thin vinyl fabric at Joann's and traced and cut out the shell again.
This next step was the fun part. It was too hard to take a picture while using the staple gun and holding down the two layers, sorry. My staples didn't go all the way in so a quick hammer jab on all of them and it turned out great.
Once again, missed a photo. But as you can see I traced the same circle shape from the top onto a large scale piece of felt that I also found at Joann's. It was too large so I just trimmed an inch around the entire thing freehand. Stapled it on Max's shell and it was time to reassemble!